708 S. McLoughlin Blvd. - Capt. John Cochran Residence 1869
Statement of Significance: John Cochran captained the "Clinton," the first steamboat to navigate the Willamette as far as Eugene, in the spring of 1856. He was part owner in the boat, which was built in 1855, co-owning it with J.S. Gibson and William Caseday. Cochran was born in Ohio in 1826. His wife, Maria, was born in 1838, and he had a son, James, born in 1854. Although altered over the years, the house retains its characteristic Classic Revival roof lines and some detailing. It is one of the few houses in the district with triangular pedimented fenestration. It is one of the oldest houses in Oregon City, and is significant for its age and association with John Cochran.