714 Jackson Street - G.B. Dimick Rental
This 1-1/2 story Queen Anne Cottage has a rectangular plan and sits on a concrete block foundation. The gable roof is covered with composition shingles. The house is covered with channel drop siding, grounded by vertical wood skirting and has wood shingles in the gable ends. Windows are primarily vinyl 1/1 windows. The shed roof entry porch is pierced by a wood stove pipe, is supported by a corner post and has a knee wall.
Statement of Significance: The house was probably built as a rental by Grant B. Dimick around 1902. Dimick was born in Hubbard, Oregon in 1869 and moved to Oregon City in 1896. Within a few years, he had entered into law partnership with O.W. Eastham, which dissolved in 1903. The following year, he went into business with his brother W. A. Dimick. G. B. Dimick was a member of the Oregon National Guard, mayor of Oregon City for four terms (1900-1904), presidential elector (1904), Judge of Clackamas County and a member of the Oregon City Commercial Club. Dimick mysteriously disappeared following bankruptcy hearings in 1924. After the house was sold by the Dimick's in 1909, ownership changed hands numerous times over the next 70 years.