801 Jefferson Street - Irving and Bertha Rau House
This 1-1/2 story colonial bungalow has a rectangular plan with an addition to the west and a basement level garage. It sits on a parged concrete foundation and is clad in non-original asbestos shingling. The boxed eaves of the gable roof return at the gable ends. The roof is covered with composition shingling. There are two street facing gabled dormers that also have eave returns. The windows are primarily 1/1 wooden doublehung with the exception of the two front windows which have been changed to large fixed picture windows. The front porch has a gabled roof with boxed eave returns and an arched ceiling. The supports are now decorative wrought iron, as well as the handrail. The front door has side lights. A south side entry has been added with concrete stairs and wrought iron handrail. The garage appears to have original doors and a wood trellis covers the driveway. There is a tapered chimney on the north wall and an original coal chute door on the south wall.
Statement of Significance: Irving Rau worked at the Crown Mill under Mr. Hawley. When Mr. Hawley started his own mill, Mr. Rau went to work for him. Later, Mr. Rau was sent to the Hawley Mill at St. Helens as secretary-treasurer for the company. In 1929, Mr. Rau sold his property to John and Jane Collie. Mr. Collie worked in textiles and retired by 1953. Mrs. Collie is listed as a widow by 1962, continuing as resident and owner for several more years. By 1965, however, the house was owned by Frederick and Catherine Westwood. Frederick Westwood was a manager at the State Employment Service, and owned the house into the 1970s.