810 Jefferson Street - Morris Holman House
This English Cottage features a bell-cast roof shed dormer and a bell-cast roof on the south façade. The cladding is stucco with some intentionally exposed brick sections and half-timbering. Board-and-batten covers the parapet over the entry. The entry door is topped by a pointed arch and the door features iron straps. A small octagonal window is tucked above the board and batten section. There is a prominent tapered stucco-covered chimney. The 8-pane casement windows with lead caning appear to be original; there are also 8/8 windows and some single pane fenestration. The composition shingle roof appears to be the only changed element in this house. A massive fir tree stands in front while a mature juniper is toward the rear lot.
Statement of Significance: Morris Holman was director of Holman Hankins Funeral Home from 1923-1955. He was born in Oregon City and graduated from the University of Washington. Holman married Edda Brown. They were members of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. Holman was involved with several organizations, such as the Elks, Rotary Club and the University Club. He was a Son of the American Revolution, president of the Chamber of Commerce, president of the Oregon Funeral Director's Association and member of the State Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers. Holman was also named First Citizen of Oregon City. Holman sold the house in 1947 to Roland and Gladys Wilson. Roland Wilson had a dental practice in Oregon City and the Wilson's had four children including Sally, Carol, Janet, and James. Wilson sold the house in 1952 to Dr. Theodore Lathrop and his wife Marjorie. Lathrop was a physician and surgeon, and owned the house through the remainder of the historic period. The Lathrops were still in the house in the 1980s.