813 11th Street - S.F. Scripture House
This one story house sits under a hip roof, with a hipped cupola rising from the center of the hip ridge. The house features an entry porch on the southeast corner, covered by a separate hip roof. This porch roof is supported by a square tapered column at the porch corner that rests on a solid balustrade. The balustrade, like the rest of the house, is clad with horizontal rounded double drop siding, finished with cornerboards. The windows are predominantly 1/1 double-hung wood sash, but a large bank of fixed wood sashes is present on the south façade. This window bank has a very wide scroll cut surround, while the other windows have a more modest board trim with a small hood molding. A full water table is present above a foundation skirt of vertically oriented drop siding that is present on the upper portion of the board formed concrete foundation. A cantilevered octagonal bay is present on the west side of the house, and a shed roof has been added over the patio on the north side.
Statement of Significance: Silas F. Scripture was an iron worker and in 1893, partner in the firm Wineset and Scripture, which manufactured carriages and wagons and served as undertakers. Later, in the teens, he was principal in the firm of Scripture and May. Scripture was born in 1861 in Iowa and moved to Oregon City in 1888. He was a registered Republican and a member of the Knights of Pythias. Scripture bought this property in 1902 and held it until 1935. John Parker, owner of the Clackamas Meat Company, purchased the house in 1938 and lived in it through the mid-1950s, although he did not sell the property until 1964. The house was used as a rental, with tenants including a secretary and a laundry worker. Vincent Janson, who bought the house from Parker, eventually moved into in 1965. Janson was employed by NW Natural Gas, and owned this residence through the remainder of the historic period, eventually using the house as a rental property again in the early 1970s.