816 Center Street - Kent Moody House
This 1-1/2 story Colonial Revival-style house has a rectangular plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation with basement. The jerkinhead roof is covered in composition shingles and pierced by eyebrow roof vents. The house is covered with asbestos ceramic shingles. Windows are primarily 4/1 wood fixed pane topped with rolling metal awnings. The rounded gable roof entry porch is supported by Doric columns. The main entry door is flanked by narrow sidelights. A shed roof addition has been added to the north. There is a basement garage and a detached garage. A poured retaining wall encircles the yard.
Statement of Significance: Originally part of the block owned by Margaret G. Wygant, lots 7 and 8 were sold by John W. Loder and wife, et al. in 1920 to Samuel L. and Minnie L. Stevens. They in turn sold lot 7 to Clyde Mount a few days later. In 1921, Clyde Mount and his wife sold the property to Hugh S. Mount, et al. In 1922, the northwest half of lot 7 was sold to Kent L. Moody. The house was constructed about this time. Kent Moody was an employee of Miller-Parker Co., an automobile supply business located at 609 Main Street. He was also listed in the 1941 City Directory as the manager of the State Liquor Store. Kent L. Moody and his wife owned the house until 1944 when they sold it to Ida T. Hutchinson. In 1956, Edith M. and Hammond Roake, Trustees, sold the house to Clara M. Brandes, unmarried and clerk at the Perry Pharmacy. City Directories indicate that Dean D. and Anne Wear lived in the house in 1960 and 1962, and the owner was John L. Jersey. In the 1964 City Directory, the residents were William K., an insurance agent for Constitution Life, and Frances W. Saunders. The house was sold to John M., retired, and Irene M. Bloom in 1967. They continued to own through the historic period.