816 JQ Adams Street - James Shannon House
This 1-1/2 story vernacular house has a rectangular plan and sits on a concrete block foundation with basement. The gable roof is covered in composition shingles. The house is covered with channel drop siding, grounded by a cap and water table. Windows are primarily 1/1 wood double-hung. A picket fence and concrete block retaining wall encircle the yard. There is a carport between the house and the detached garage.
Statement of Significance: From 1905 to 1910, this property was deeded between four members of the Shannon family. It ultimately came to rest in the possession of James and Myra Shannon, who are credited with the construction of the residence. By 1916, James Shannon was chief engineer for the Hawley Pulp and Paper Company and later served as mayor of Oregon City, from 1921 to 1924. Following her husband's death in the late 1940s, Mary Shannon continued to reside in the house. By 1953 she was joined by Francis D. Johnson, to whom she deeded the property that same year. Mrs. Johnson worked as a technician for Dr. A.H. Huycke and later for Dr. Roy E. Cochran. She continued to own and occupy this house until at least the late 1960s.