818 4th Street - Rudolph and Mary Koerner House
This large house sits under a cross gable roof, with the main gable running north-south and a secondary gable at the south end of the main gable. The house rises to 2-1/2 stories in height, with a wraparound porch on the north and east sides, which is covered by a shallow hip roof. This hip is supported by a series of square columns with paneled bases and a low balustrade running between them. The gables typically feature enclosed eaves and wide rake and frieze boards, and the northern gable is clipped. The house is primarily clad with horizontal drop siding finished with cornerboards. A belt course separates the second and third floors, and a small band of vertical T&G boards is present below this belt course. Above the belt course, the gable ends are clad with octagonal imbrication that is slightly battered at the belt course. The house rests on a poured concrete foundation beneath a full water table, and the porch has been skirted with latticework. The windows are 1/1 doublehung wood sashes with plain board trim and small hood moldings, and all of the windows have received aluminum storm windows.
Statement of Significance: In 1893, Rudolph and Mary Koerner purchased this property and proceeded to construct their residence. Mr. Koerner was a superintendent at the Woolen Mills and also a city councilman. In 1915, it was purchased by Dan and Nellie Lyons, who lived at 1102 Jackson. The next three owners, D.C. Latourette, Lillie F. Reynolds, and Ray and Ricka Stow, also appear to have used the house as a rental. In 1944, ownership was transferred to LeVerne and Reliance M. Carlisle. Mr. Carlisle provided electric service, while his wife was employed as a teacher. The couple continued to occupy this residence until the mid-1960s.