819 7th Street - Henry Hornschuh House
This 1-1/2 story house at 819 7th Street is a rectangular Queen Anne with Classical detailing, often referred to as "free classical". It has a front porc that extends across its front and down its entire side and half way cross its back. The corner of the house is chamfered to mark the corner entry. The porch is marked by turned classical columns and a solid rail. The gable ends have eave returns and are imbricated with fishscale and square shingles. Windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with stained glass in the upper sash of the two front windows. A fine basalt retaining wall is located at the side. Two outbuildings have excellent integrity with original doors and siding. One is a carriage house contemporary with the house on Madison at the sidewalk. The second outbuilding is used for storage and is located off the north corner of the house.
Statement of Significance: William Albert Long was owner of two of the largest theaters in town, the Liberty and the Star. He was born in Ohio in 1869 and there he worked as farmer. In Oregon City, he operated the finest movie houses. He purchased the house from Henry Hornschuh in 1908 with his wife Maggie. Long served on the elevator committee, and was an Elk, a Mason, and a sportsman. Long's daughter, Ruby, was living in the house by 1941 and remaine there through the 1960s. Ruby also operated the family theaters, and held the property into the 1980s.