902 5th Street - George F. Horton House
This two story house sits under a cross gable roof with the main gable ends on the north and west sides of the house. A full width porch runs across the north façade, covered by a hip roof that is supported by tapered square columns resting on a solid balustrade. The balustrade is clad with narrow lap siding above a shingled porch skirt. This porch appears to have been added to the house about 1920. The main body of the house is clad with drop siding, finished with cornerboards. The gable ends are clad with wood shingles in hexagonal, octagonal, and fishscale patterns. The gable ends also feature decorative stickwork in the upper portions of the enclosed eaves. A small octagonal bay is centered under the west gable, covered by a shallow hip roof and featuring spandrel panels of diagonal tongue and groove boards. The windows in the house are primarily 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds. The second floor windows are topped by a frieze board that encircles the house, while the first floor windows have modest hoods and apron boards. A garage has been added to the southwest corner of the house, above which a new deck has been built.
Statement of Significance: Although George F. Horton was not deeded the property until 1901, city directories show him living in this house in 1897. Horton, born in Ohio in 1848, was a farmer and brick mason who also served in Company C of the 148th Ohio Infantry during the Civil War. In 1886, Horton emigrated to Needy, Oregon where he was a farmer before relocating to Oregon City in 1892. Active in the Republican party, Horton was County Clerk from 1892-1896 and was appointed postmaster of Oregon City and West Linn in 1898. Horton continued to reside in this house until its sale to George Howell, an employee of the CWP Company, and his wife Emma in 1912. The couple remained at this property until 1946, when it was sold to Charles G. Gregory, who in turn, deeded to M.M. and Arlene Graham the following year. Although the Grahams owned the house for nearly ten years, they do not appear to have ever occupied it. In 1953, its tenant was Fred Remus, a cook at the Kwality Café. By 1958, the property was purchased by Walter Hallweg, a tailor, and his wife Elizabeth. The couple continued to own and occupy this residence until at least 1967.