911 Jefferson Street - Florence Moore House
This 1-1/2 story English Cottage has a rectangular plan with a south elevation porch that has doubled in size since 1982. It sits on a board formed concrete foundation and is clad in non-original wood shingling. There is a small molded rake board at the boxed gabled roof. The roof is covered with composition shingling and is eaveless. The windows are primarily 6/1 wooden double-hung with a substantial surround. The two windows flanking the front chimney are 6-pane fixed. The front entry is enclosed under the extended roof of the front facing gable and has an arched, brick lined portal. The gable end chimney on the front façade is wide and subtly decorative. There is a rear carport and a barn/garage structure in the back yard that is shingled with a composition gable roof and one old door.
Statement of Significance: Florence Moore, secretary for (Christian) Schuebel and (A.G.) Beattie, Oregon City attorneys, bought this lot in 1924 from WGH and Lydia Krueger, but did not build on it until the late 1930s. The contractor and builder was David Catto. Between 1941 and 1953 city directories list the residents as Oliver and Helen Ellingson. Helen worked as a clerk at the H-D Drug Company. Florence Moore continued to own the property, and by 1958 had moved back into the house. Moore owned the house until her death in 1970.