921 Center Street - Louis Adams House
Fronting to the southwest rather than Center Street, this 1-1/2 story Bungalow has a square plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation. The gable roof is covered in composition shingles with wide rake board and pierced with a chimney. The house is covered with wood shingles. Windows are primarily 4/4 and 6/1 wood double-hung. The front (south) façade has a fixed pane window flanked by 4/4 sidelights. The upper story is cantilevered over the bottom story and supported by decorative brackets. The recessed front entry porch is covered with a canvas awning. Awnings cover secondary entrances. A basement garage is accessed from Center Street.
Statement of Significance: In 1889, N.O. and Vinnie Walden sold lots 1-4 (the whole block due to the cliff) of Block 42 to Helen L. Stratton. She sold lots 1and2 to Theodore and May E. Osmund in 1913. The Osmunds sold lot 1 to F.W. and Gertrude Humphreys a few days later. In 1914, the Humphreys sold the lot to L. and Ina M. Adams. Though it is unclear, it is presumed that the Adams had the house built c.1922. Louis Adams owned Adams Department Store (Oregon City's Busy Store), located at 7th and Main Streets (1916). In 1927, the Adams sold the property to Arthur C. and Sade C. Howland. J.C.M., retired, and Daisy B. Dodds rented the house in 1953. It was vacant in 1958, according to the City Directory. Sade C. Howland, widow, sold the house to Arthur G., salesman for Frank McGuire Realty, and Fay Dahl in 1959. The house was owned by the Dahls for the remainder of the historic period and was sold by the estate in 1984.