City Ordinance / Service Disconnection / Landlord Notification
City Ordinance - 13.04.230 - Authority to Turn on the Water
After the water has been shut off at the curb cock, if it should be turned on by any person other than an employee of the water department, the water will be again shut off, a section of the service pipe removed, and service will not be furnished until the arrears, current month and an additional charge for the reasonable cost of disconnection and resumption of service, as determined by administrative policy, are paid. (Prior code §3-3-25)
Temporary Shut off for Maintenance
City Ordinance - 13.04.130 - Shut-off for repairs.
The water may at any time be shut off from the mains without notice, for repairs or other necessary purposes, and the city will not be responsible for any consequent damages. Water for steam boilers for power purposes will not be furnished by direct pressure from the city mains; tanks for holding an ample reserve of water shall always be provided by the owners of the boilers. While water is temporarily shut off from the mains, the hot water faucets should be kept open by the occupants of the premises to allow the steam to escape from the water heater and should damage result to meters by reason of steam or hot water, the owner shall be charged for repairs.
Service Disconnection | Landlord Notification
- Shut-off Notification is by mail 5 to 7 days prior to the Due date of the 20th account balances not satisfied by this date after 5 pm are subject to either disconnection of service or an additional courtesy 24-hour door hanger.
- If your service is disconnected for non-payment, only payment in full by 4 pm will restore your service that same day.
- The city does not accept personal checks when service has been disconnected.
- Calls received after business hours will be serviced the next business day after your payment has been received.
- During normal business hours, restores are done in the order in which they are received after 2 pm.
Landlord Notification for Rental Properties: Landlords are sent a Courtesy Copy of their tenant's "shut off" Notice as notification of the impending Service Interruption.
When services are discontinued for non-payment: The full outstanding balance plus Late Fees must be paid In Full before Water Service may resume, this applies to any person or entity requesting the restore.
Additional fees when applicable: Collection, Processing, and Enforcement
Non-payment disconnections are classified as non-emergency
- A collection, Processing, and Enforcement - $25
- Returned Check, Non-Sufficient Funds - $25
- Meter Tampering $25. Service turned on by someone other than a City employee.
- Damaged Padlock - $10 - Lock cut to facilitate turning own water service on.
- Meter Pull - $50 - if the City has to pull the water meter following tampering.
- After-hours restore - $190 Non-emergency restore calls