The registration deadline is 2 weeks before the start of each session to allow adequate time to complete the required online coursework.
All classes require online work that amounts to 7 hours of work prior to the first day of class as well as additional reading between class dates.
Please see the following instructions:
- Create an account on the American Red Cross website
- Once an account is created, click on the launch course button
- Go through the videos and take the exams
- Print off the completion record or course certificate
- Make sure to register for the course through the swimming pool (registration information on this page)
- Purchase or locate a device to download the lifeguard manual on
The instructor lead portion of the lifeguard certification class will be broken down into 3 sections:
- Pre-requisite: Students must be able to swim continuously for 300 yards, tread water for 2 minutes using legs only, and complete the "brick test" (swim 20 meters, retrieve a 10 pound brick from 7 feet of water, return to the surface, and swim on their back the 20 meters back to the edge of the pool).
- Practice: take what you've learned from the videos and apply it in drills, scenarios, and games to demonstrate ability to do all required rescues.
- Final Exam: Take the "Lifeguard Written Exam". Students must pass with an 80% or higher. Complete the required water and CPR skills in a final testing environment.
- Lifeguard training participants must attend all scheduled classes
- Bring a swimsuit, towel, snacks, multiple face masks as they are required when not in the water and you may need multiple.
- Lifeguard manual is available for download on the Lifeguard Manual website.
- Call: 503-657-8273
- Come in: to 1211 Jackson Street