American Public Works Association (APWA) Professional Manager of the Year Award
Nancy Kraushaar, City Engineer/Public Works Director for the City of Oregon City from 2000 until July, 2012, was chosen as the 2012 National American Public Works Association (APWA) Professional Manager of the Year in the Transportation category.
The City of Oregon City received notification of this national award from the American Public Works Association (APWA) in Kansas City, MO. The APWA established its national awards program to acknowledge the contributions that public works professionals make to improve the quality of life in their communities. This award recognizes the outstanding career service achievements of public transportation professionals. The primary focus of this award is recognition of exceptional leadership and management by an individual through a significant transportation related project or program. Eligibility for the award included APWA membership with 10 years of qualifying experience with the responsibility for managing the planning, design, operation and/or maintenance of transportation projects or programs.
Selection criteria for this award included:
- Profession - Significant contributions to the advancement of transportation management
- Leadership - Outstanding leadership and vision evidenced by employing progressive management techniques in the area of transportation management
- Innovation - Employment of new and innovative ideas and technology resulting in the advancement of the effectiveness of transportation management
- Agency service - Implementation of effective methods to optimize fiscal management and transportation operations
- Customer service - Maintenance of a high degree of satisfaction among customers and other stakeholders
- Community service - Promotion of the field of transportation management in the community agency or customers served
Nancy is the first recipient of this national award from the Pacific Northwest with all other recipients coming from California, Texas, North Carolina, and the Midwest. She has been invited to receive this award recognizing her achievement at the annual Awards Recognition Ceremony which was held during the 2012 International Public Works Congress and Exposition in Anaheim, California on August 27, 2012. Nancy was also featured in the September edition of the APWA Reporter publication, at the Oregon Chapter Fall Conference in September, and on the Oregon Chapter website.
We believe this decision underscores the many personal and professional contributions that Nancy made for Oregon City and its citizens.
Nancy joined the City in 1996, and in 2000, she was promoted to the Public Works Director/City Engineer position. Nancy left the City of Oregon City in July, 2012, and went on to retire as the Community Development Director at the City of Wilsonville.
Check out her award winning Nomination Package (PDF) which provides highlights of several of Nancy's accomplishments while at Oregon City and includes letters of support from a diverse shortlist of supporters. We were extremely proud to have such an exceptional person work for the City of Oregon City!