Public Works - Special Event Permit

An event may be considered a "Special Event" requiring a Public Works Special Event Permit if any of the following apply:

  • Gatherings/events that involve large groups of people impacting the right-of-way
  • Advertised to the public and do not occur regularly on a site
  • Cause impact to or use City streets (including curb or parking lane), sidewalks and/or public rights-of-way
  • Cause impact to a public parking lot

Downtown Street EventExamples include, but are not limited to a:

  • Road race
  • Bike race
  • Walk
  • Parade
  • Festival
  • Market
  • Carnival
  • Concert
  • Block party
  • Car show
  • Vigil/protest, etc.

Special events within City Parks require a different separate permit.

Permit Application Requirements

Special Events require a permit issued by the City. Additional documents which the City may also require to make an application complete include:

  • Certificate of Insurance releasing the City of Oregon City from liability
  • Street closure plan
  • Traffic control plan
  • OR Department of Transportation (ODOT) and/or Clackamas County approval
  • Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) Permit: If alcohol use is planned for your Special Event, submit OLCC permits with your application
  • Temporary Restaurant License and Food Handler Certificate: For any food service establishment in the street, public right-of-way, and City facility

Traffic Control Plan

You will need to include a Traffic Control Plan if your event is to affect public right-of-way with any one of these conditions (Note: Public right-of-way extends beyond the paved or travel surface of a roadway):

  • Restrict or close a roadway (lanes, bike lanes, shoulders, etc.)
  • Restrict or close a sidewalk/pathway
  • Restrict or close a driveway
  • Restrict or close parking spaces
  • Restrict or close a Public Parking Lot
  • Directing traffic with the use of a Certified Flagger, Police Officer or signs
  • Posting of any signs in the right-of-way

Examples of Traffic Control Plans

A Traffic Control Plan should site specific map of routes or locations where event will take place:

  • Streets and cross streets with lane configurations
  • Location and placement of all required Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) advance warning signs (list type of signs to be used)
  • Location and placement of all certified flaggers
  • Placement of cones and cone tapers
  • Show traffic, pedestrian and bike detours and/or delays
  • Show affected businesses

Additional Information

After receipt of the Special Event Permit Application, you may be contacted by affected City departments if additional information is needed or to discuss the specific plans to accommodate the Event and its impact upon the public generally.

Submission of Application for Permit

A completed Special Event Application Form (PDF) can be submitted via email to the Public Works Department or it can also be printed and sent or delivered to the Public Works Department at 13895 Fir Street.

Please endeavor to submit the application at least 45 days before the Event. For more information, please contact the Public Works Department.

Some special events may also require a Right-of-Way Permit if the request is to disturb the right-of-way with any semi-permanent improvement (this does not include traffic control for road closures). Go to the Right-of-Way Permit page for more information. If a City park is to be used, permission from the Parks Department will be required using a different Parks Special Event Permit.