JAMES H. HADLEY HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: This house was built by local carpenter Joseph D. Locke, who sold it in 1920. The first occupant was James H. Hadley, a police chief of Oregon City who crossed the plains in 1869. Hadley sold the house to Wilhelm Krueger in 1926, who apparently used it as a rental. In 1942 the house sold to the McClay family, and was used as a rental until about 1960, when Rosella McClay moved into the house. McClay occupied the house for the remainder of the historic period, and the family sold the house in 1971.
This large house sits under a front gable roof, with a second front gable covering the full width entry porch on the south side of the house. The gables feature open eaves and knee brackets that penetrate the wide barge boards. The porch gable is supported by tapered square columns set on a solid balustrade. The balustrade is clad with the same double drop siding as the rest of the house, and all of the siding is finished with corner boards. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds. The windows appear both singly and in pairs. A central chimney penetrates the center of the main gable. A small garage is located at the northeast corner of the lot, sitting under a gable roof and clad with the same siding as the main house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.