JAMES SEAVEY HOUSE c.1920 -- Statement of Significance: This house belonged to the Seavey family for a number of years, situated in a county landmark area for decades, the Seavey hopyard, 120 acres of land along the Clackamas River. Originally part of the Hiram Straight Donation Land Claim, the land was operated by A.S. Nichols, a trustee for the estate between 1891 and 1919, when it was sold to James Seavey. Seavey may have leased the land prior to that time, since photographic evidence apparently dates to 1900 showing the hop fields. The house was located near the St. Agnes Baby Home, built in the early 1890s, and the small white Queen Anne cottage less than one quarter mile north of this house (now demolished) served as the residence for the chaplain of the baby home, who for a number of years was a Father La Croix. It was moved to its present location from a spot nearer the river. The Seavey hopyards encompassed land extending to the present Clackamette Park, the Oregon City Shopping Center, and the gravel pits and ponds in the vicinity along the river. A large complex of hop driers was situated on the property and burned in 1962. Hop pickers from Oregon City and as far away as Portland would travel on the inter-urban to Park Place to harvest the hops. The Seavey family sold the land in the late 1940s.
The house is significant for its association with Seavey and the hopyards, one of the major yards in Clackamas County; unfortunately, other features which would contribute to its historic significance (e.g., the driers) have vanished. Architecturally, the house is a good example of the classic box structures throughout the Willamette Valley.