401 S. 1st Street

Alerts

  1. There are no alerts at this time.

EDWARD AND IDA BATDORF HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1893, Edward Batdorf, a teamster, and his wife Ida purchased this property and are credited with the construction of the residence. Following their transfer to Albert B. Buckler in 1901, ownership changed another eight times by 1925. At that time, the property was deeded to George M. and Gertrude Fuge. Although the couple retained ownership for over 20 years, there is no evidence they ever occupied the house. In the late 1940s, the property was owned briefly by Joseph and Elizabeth Muylle, who both worked at the Oregon City Woolen Mills, and Antone Weiger, a teamster. F.D. Duncan purchased the property in 1952 and owned it 20 years, yet never lived in the house. His tenants included Robert Bassen a carpenter for Delta Construction; Harley Johnsen, a worker at Product Engineering; and Dale Moon, a mechanic for Wagee Truck Service.

This 1-1/2 story house sits under a front gable roof, with a hipped porch running almost the full width of the south façade. The gable features wide rake and frieze boards beneath the enclosed eaves and gable end returns. The porch hip is supported by slender turned columns with scroll cut brackets beneath the blank frieze. The house is clad primarily with horizontal drop siding, finished with corner boards, but the gable ends above the window heads are clad with fishscale imbrication. The windows are primarily 1/1 double-hung wood sashes, but under the front porch on the east end of the south façade is a large picture window. The windows have narrow board trim on three sides and narrow sills. A small, one-story ell exists on the north side of the house, covered by a gable roof and serving as the rear entry to the house. A one car garage, dating from about 1920, sits to the southeast of the house. It features horizontal drop siding finished with corner boards, open eaves, wide barge boards, and decorative knee brackets that give the garage a bungalow appearance. Two out-swinging doors provide access to the garage on the south side.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form