409 S. 1st Street

EDWARD AND IDA BATDORF RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: The construction of this residence appears to have occurred during the tenure of Edward Batdorf, a teamster, and his wife Ida, who lived at 401 S. 1st Street. Following their transfer to Albert B. Buckler in 1901, ownership changed another ten times by 1924. At that time, the property was deeded to Fall P. and Emma Nelson, who do not appear to have ever occupied the house. In 1941, Mrs. Nelson, as a widow, sold the property to William E. and Marie E. O'Donnell, who were both retired. The couple continued to own and occupy the house until 1968.

This modest house sits under a front gable roof on a stone foundation, with a hip roofed porch on the south side. This porch has been altered since the 1986 inventory of the property, and the tapered square posts visible in that era have been replaced with slender chamfered posts with scroll cut brackets just below the blank frieze. The porch balustrade is also a recent addition. The house gable features enclosed eaves above wide rake and frieze boards. It is entirely clad with horizontal drop siding, finished with narrow corner boards. A small octagonal bay is located on the east side, covered by a small hip roof. The windows in the house are primarily 1/1 double-hung wood sash, with lamb's tongues on the upper sashes, large window hoods, narrow projecting sills, and decorative apron molding. The window in the south gable end has replaced an earlier incompatible window visible on the 1986 survey form.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form