JOHN W. AND NOLA GROUT HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1875, Eloisa Harvey, Executor, sold lots 1-8 of Block 81 to Mary E. Leahy. In 1888, the Leahys sold lots 1,2,7and8 to M.A. Woodworth. M.A. and C.A. Woodworth sold the property in 1889 to John W. Grout, a real estate and insurance agent with Swafford and Grout, and later a deputy sheriff. It is unclear which owner was responsible for the construction of the house built c.1890. In 1900, Grout sold lots 1and2 to P.J. Tate. P.J. Tate sold the property to Michael Kroll in 1902. In 1921, Michael Kroll and his wife sold lot 1 to H.C. and Lillian Wegner. The Wegners sold the house in 1923 to William E. Good. In 1930, wife Evelyn S. was added to the deed. Wife Alta was added in 1934. In 1949, William E. Good sold the property to Stoil F. and Erma L. Bailey. In 1954, Stoil and Erma Bailey divorced. Bailey sold the property in 1962 to Rodger O., an employee of Pub Paper Company, and Dorthy Smith, who in turn sold it to Robert L., a yardman at Crown Zellerbach, and Mary J. Harvey. The Harveys owned the property until at least 1974.
This 1-1/2 story vernacular house has a rectangular plan and sits on a concrete block foundation with skirting. The gable roof is covered in composition shingles. The house is covered with channel drop siding. Wood shingles accent the gable ends and alternate between fish scale and octagonal shaped shingles. Windows are primarily 1/1 wood double-hung. The hip roof entry porch appears to have been enclosed though large trees obscure most of the front façade. Additions have been constructed on the west façade.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.