O.A. PACE/RILANCE RESIDENCE c.1930 -- Statement of Significance: O.A. Pace purchased most of what was formerly Lot 11 of the Holmes Donation Land Claim in 1929, including the historic Holmes House. Pace and his wife, Bertha Heater, came to Oregon City from Iowa. Pace had a part-interest in the Holman-Pace Funeral Parlor (now Holman, Hankins and Waud) which he later sold. He served as Clackamas County coroner, Clackamas County Commissioner, and was mayor of Oregon City from 1927 to 1935. In 1930, Pace had his brothers-in-law, Farrell and Drexel Heater, built this house for he and his wife. Farrell was a cabinet maker and Drexel a finish carpenter. Daughter Pauline married A.J. Rilance in the late 1920s; Rilance and five of his brothers came to the Portland area from Canada and formed a band in which they played to supplement their incomes. Apparently, Rilance met Pauline at a grange dance at which the band played, and they married. Pace encouraged Rilance to purchase a part-interest in his former business in the early 1930s, which became Holman, Hankins and Rilance Funeral Parlor, a business interest Rilance maintained until the early 1970s. Around 1936-37, the Paces deeded this house to A.J. and Pauline Rilance, and they moved to a small apartment unit they had built in back of this house (it is now located on the east side of the house), where the Paces lived until their deaths. The Rilance family owned the Holmes House (Rose Farm) for a number of years, and it was during their ownership that the house was subdivided into rental units. The Pace House later passed to Pace's grandson, Lee Rilance. (See also 718 John Quincy Adams and 819 Washington Street, McLoughlin District Inventory.) The house is significant for its association with A.O. Pace and connection with the Rose Farm.