Nominate Heritage Trees & Stands
Celebrating Heritage Trees
Chapter 12.32 of the Oregon City Municipal Code - Heritage Trees and Stands includes a voluntary process for the nomination of heritage trees on public and private property in Oregon City. Heritage trees are those trees that because of their age, species, natural resource value, ecological or historical association, are of special importance to the city.
Please note that this is a voluntary program that requires landowner consent, and is not intended to be regulatory in nature. However, heritage trees on private property will be protected by a legal document called a deed restriction following designation by the City Commission.
The attached nomination form should be filled out completely by any party wishing to nominate a tree or stand for heritage status. All nominations are forwarded to the Natural Resources Committee for recommendation to the City Commission.
With the exception of trees on city property and right-of-ways, nomination is to be by the property owner or with the written consent of the property owner.
All heritage tree nominations, public or private, are to be approved by the City Commission at a noticed public meeting.
Although not required in order to submit a nomination, we strongly recommend that nominations include a report by a certified arborist or similarly qualified person that describes the size, species, and condition of the tree, as well as any hazardous or potentially hazardous conditions which may exist.
Property owners who consent to the nomination of a heritage tree must also sign a protective covenant for the tree.
Tree owners will receive a plaque, certificate and formal recognition by the City. Heritage trees will be documented on the city website.
Officially Designated Heritage Trees
|Location||Photo||Species||Estimated Age||Height / Spread||Diameter at Breast Height (DBH)||Designation Date||Type of Designation|
|19130 Lot Whitcomb Drive|
|Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa)||150 years||150 feet / 75 feet||62 inches||April 8, 2012||Heritage Tree|
|916 Center Street|
(Dr. Clyde Mount House)
|Oregon White or Garry Oak (Quercus garryana)||250 years||50 feet / 87 feet||38 inches||April 8, 2012||Heritage Tree|
|712 12th Street|
(Edward Howell House)
|Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii)||134 years||100 feet / 87 feet||39 inches||February 5, 2014||Heritage Tree|
|314 Pleasant Avenue||Oregon White or Garry Oak (Quercus garryana)||NA||85 feet / 60 feet||41 inches||NA||Heritage Tree|
|901 Linn Avenue||NA||Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum)||NA||NA||NA||NA||Heritage Tree|
|810 Jackson Street||NA||American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis)||NA||NA||NA||NA||Heritage Tree|
|Mountainview Cemetery||NA||Camperdown Elm (Acer glabrum)||114 years||22 feet / 30 feet||72 inches||May 5, 2021||Heritage Tree|
|415 Dewey||Camperdown Elm (Acer glabrum)||50 years||17 feet / 16 feet||61 inches||May 5, 2021||Heritage Tree|
The following trees were designated in 2022:
- 326 Pearl Street - Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens)
- 137 Warner Parrott Road - Camperdown Elm Tree (Ulmos glabra)
- 536 Holmes Lane and 919 Rilance Lane - two Pin Oak (Quercus palustris)
- Oregon City Municipal Pool - (JP) Japanese Red Pine, (AP) Austrian Pine (Pinus desiflora), (BA) Blue Atlas Cedar (Cedrus atlantica), (S) Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum)
- Tyrone S Woods Park - Oregon White Oak (Quercus garryana) and Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) Grove
- Hazel Grove Park - Oregon White Oak (Quercus garryana) and Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) Grove
Heritage Stand Designations
Waterboard Park was designated as a Heritage Stand by the City Commission on October 2, 2013. For the documentation, video and minutes from this meeting go to the Calendar and select the City Commission agenda for that date.
Portions of Park Place Park were designated as a Heritage Stand by the City Commission on March 3, 2021.
- 712 12th St Douglas Fir Photos (PDF)
- 916 Center Street White Oak Photos (PDF)
- Ainsworth House Ponderosa Pine Photo (PDF)
- Heritage Tree - Stand Nomination Checklist (PDF)
- Heritage Tree Covenant for Private Property (PDF)
- Heritage Tree-Stand Nomination Form (PDF)
- OCMC 12.32.020 - Definitions (Clean Code Adopted 5-3-23) (PDF)
- Ordinance 19-1016 Heritage Trees and Stands (PDF)
- Ordinance 23-1004 - 2022 to 2023 Street Tree Minor Code Amendments (Adopted 5-3-23) (PDF)