D.W. JAMES RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: Don W. James, a department manager for the Huntley Brothers drug store in Oregon City, purchased this property in 1911, two years before constructing this residence. James lived at 620 12th Street until 1918, when he sold both houses. The exact ownership of the house is unclear at this point, but by the early 1930s the house was owned and occupied by J.R. and Kate Hanny. No biographical information has been found about the Hannys, who owned and occupied the house until 1960. At that time, Arthur and Irene Alkire bought the house and lived in it until 1967 when they sold the property.
This bungalow sits under a side gable roof, with a large shed dormer on the north side. A recessed porch runs the full width of this façade, where the eave is supported by a series of tapered square columns resting on a solid balustrade. The house was originally clad with rounded double drop siding, but is now clad with composition shingles over most of the exterior. A portion of the original siding is visible at the porch skirt. In addition to the composition siding, the north wall of the house under the porch has been clad with plywood. The house features many typical bungalow elements, including wide barge boards, exposed rafter tails, and decorative chamfered knee brackets. The windows are all 3/1 doublehung wood sash appearing singly, in pairs, and in groups of three or four. The windows typically feature narrow trim molding, and a string course exists just above the sill level in the gable ends. A large exterior chimney is present on the west wall of the house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.