300-302 Center Street

CLARENCE AND HATTIE FARR HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Clarence Farr, son of pioneer Isaac Farr, was born in Oregon in 1871. His wife, Hattie, was born in Illinois in 1875. They had two children, Hazel and Wallace. Clarence was a grocer and butcher in business with his brother, Arthur Louis, under the name Farr Brothers. The business was located at the northwest corner of Monroe and 7th.

300-302 Center Street is comprised of two houses. The 1892 Queen Anne Cottage (302 Center) appears on the 1900 Sanborn map. The c.1915 vernacular structure (300 Center) does not appear until the 1950 Sanborn, and is a detached state from 302 Center. Since 300 Center is a pre-1950 building, it must have been moved to its current location between 1925 and 1950, though it is unclear from where. It was reported in 1986 that 300 Center was built as a garage; however, the 1950 Sanborn indicates that it was a shop at that time. The Queen Anne Cottage (302 Center) is one story with a gable roof. Eave returns mark the imbricated gable. The house is sheeted in channel drop siding with centerboard and water table. The foundation skirt is vertical channel drop siding. Windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with lamb's tongues and are crowned by a hood. The vernacular house (300 Center) is one story with a jerkinhead roof. Brackets support the eave and bargeboard. A gabled hood shelters the entry. Two large picture windows t the front are c.1950. An early shed addition is on the rear. The corner house crowds the sidewalk.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form