920 Center Street

DR. ORAL WELSH HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1911, Ann Howell sold lots 7and7 of Block 51 to E.C. Hackett. E.C. Hacket and his wife sold the property in 1915 to Melissa A. Beston. She sold Lot 8 to Oral E. Welsh, et al. in 1916. The house was constructed in 1916, presumably by the Welshes. Oral Welsh, physician and surgeon, was the Clackamas County health officer in 1916. The Welshes sold the house in 1942 to Lloyd Edison and Catherine M. Toal. The 1947 City Directory indicates the residence was owned by Fred Toal, employed by the M-W Company. The Toals sold it in 1948 to Robert A., city manager of Oregon City, and Mildred Finlamson. The Finlamsons owned it until 1957 when they sold it to Harry F., furniture salesman at Friedrich's, and Phyllis Gehring. The Gehrings owned the house through the rest of the historic period.

This two-story Craftsman house with Bungalow detailing has a square plan and sits on a concrete block foundation. The gable roof is covered in composition shingles with exposed rafter tails, decorative brackets and a wide rake board. It is pierced by gabled roof dormers and a chimney. The house is covered with bevel siding. Decorative shutters flank the windows on the front (west) façade. Windows on the first floor are fixed pane with ribbon transoms and 9/1 sidelights, 8/1 wood double-hung on the second floor and 6/1 on the upper floor. The dormers have 6-pane ribbon windows. A square bay on the south façade is covered with a gable roof. The entry porch wraps around the side (north) façade of the house. Battered columns support the gable roof with decorative rake board and brackets. The porch is encircled with an open rail.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form