CARL AND CARRIE HUTH HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1893, Carl and Carrie Huth purchased this property and proceeded to construct the residence. Mr. Hugh likely did the work himself, as he was a carpenter for the Willamette Pulp and Paper Company. A later resident was German immigrant Frank Gawlista, who was a laborer in the paper mill. In the early 1900s, the house was used as a rental, until its purchase in 1936 by Sam and Martha Vietz. The couple resided at the property until its sale to Lonnie and Lillie Logsdon in 1946. The Logsdons continued the practice of using the house as a rental. The following owner was Walter Coulson, a paper maker for Crown Zellerbach. He occupied the house with his wife Mable from 1960 to 1971.
This single-story Italianate vernacular residence has a square plan with early hipped roof additions to the west and south sides. The foundation is skirted with vertically hung drop siding and topped with a wide water table. The residence is clad in channel drop siding with corner boards. A wide frieze and rake board make the connections to the truncated hip roof. The roof is covered with composition shingling and once had cresting. There is a stove pipe puncturing through the north side of the roof. The windows are primarily 1/1 wooden double-hung with lamb's tongues and substantial surrounds with bracketed aprons and decorative hoods. The front porch has a hip roof resting on columns, with pilasters where the porch meets the wall. The porch has a decorative spindle rail, tiny dentil molding and column brackets. The front door has a decorative screen door and a transom window. A detached garage exists to the rear of the house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.