(Previously 16000 Depot Lane) HIRAM STRAIGHT HOUSE c. 1858 -- Statement of Significance: Hiram Straight was the original owner of the subject property, for which he received a patent from the United States government in 1873. Straight had claimed the land in 1843, upsetting an unofficial claim made by John McLoughlin. In January of 1892 Straight filed a subdivision plat which included the subject property. Shortly after filing Straight's Addition to Park Place, the lot upon which the Straight House sits was sold to Mary E. Huerth. In 1909 Huerth moved to Portland and sold the subject property to John and Ida Kent, a carpenter for the Crown Willamette Paper Company. They held it for ten years and then sold to Jennie Zielaskowski et. al. During the Depression the property was sold at sheriff's auction to the mortgage holder, Noah Stingley. He sold the property to Claud and Sadie Salisbury in 1943.
Hiram Straight was pioneer of the 1840s. Straight was born in New York in 1814, the second of 12 children. He married Susan Lasswell of Ohio and traveled to Iowa in 1838. In 1843 they crossed the plains to Oregon, staking a claim directly across the Clackamas from Fendel Cason, who constructed the first bridge across the river. Hiram and Susan had six children: Cyrus, Mary (Cason), Jane (Bingham), Hiram, George (died in infancy), Julia (Frost) and John.
Straight was active in government, as well as civic and social activities. He was a representative in the first Provisional legislature at Oregon City in 1845. He served as the clerk for the local school district and was a member of the literary club. Straight was selected to be the foreman of the jury for the trail of the Indians who allegedly were responsible for the Whitman Massacre, which was perhaps the most notorious crime of the period. After selling the subject property, Straight moved to Canemah. His son, Hiram, held the office of mayor or Oregon City in 1894, 1895 and 1896.
The Straight House was built in 1856. It is an excellent example of the Classical Revival style of architecture. The two-story wood-frame house sits on a stone foundation. Salient architectural elements include the balanced symmetrical facade, six-over-six double-hung sash windows and lap siding. The most notable feature is the handsome entrance. The panel door is flanked by paneled sidelights and multi-light transom. Doors of the type and date, as well as interior features such as staircases, were frequently milled on the East Coast and shipped by boat around the Horn. It is not known if this entrance or interior features were imported or not. The house is remarkably intact considering its age.