E.E. WILLIAMS HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Eli Williams, born in Ohio in 1846, was the Oregon City Assessor in 1898. His wife established the Derthick, a musical organization, in the early teens. Williams lived in the house until about 1906, and the house changed hands frequently from that time through 1923. These owners were involved in the timber and mill industries in Oregon City. Joseph Koch bought the property in 1923 and held it until 1940, the longest term of ownership of this house. After this, the property continued to change hands often, with occupants that included a carpenter, an auto parts salesman, a Crown Zellerbach employee, a teacher, and a barmaid. The house was apparently used as a rental following its sale in 1940.
This one-story house sits under a front gable roof with shed roof additions on the north and east sides of the house. The west façade features a hip roofed porch, supported by a series of chamfered posts with spindle work brackets beneath the blank frieze. A newer balustrade encircles the porch, which also features engaged columns at the wall of the house. The main gable and shed additions feature wide rake and frieze boards beneath the enclosed eaves. The entire house is clad with drop siding finished with corner boards above the water table cap. The windows are predominantly 1/1 double-hung wood sash with board surrounds and projecting hood moldings. On the north side of the house these windows have been replaced with fixed wood sashes. The house rests on a concrete block foundation and features a low concrete retaining wall on the west side of the property. A small garage is located at the northeast corner of the lot under a gable roof. The garage has minimal eaves, drop siding, and newer out-swinging wood doors.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.