D.C. BAKER HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: David C. Baker is the earliest occupant of this house, along with his wife Jennie. Baker was a carpenter who likely built this distinctive bungalow. Baker sold the house in 1924 to Dorris and Edythe Medley, who owned the house for nearly 25 years, eventually selling to George Niemela and his wife Vera. Niemela was a member of the U.S. Engineers and was a 2nd Mate on a motor launch. Niemela used the house as a rental in the later years of his ownership and sold the property to Harold Cawley in 1959. Cawley worked for Crown Zellerbach as a machine operator and sold the house in 1962. Later owner occupants included Fred and Clara Weaver and Henry Ashford.
This 1-1/2 story house sits under a front gable roof with shed dormers on the north and south sides of the house. A small gable projects out to the west from the southwest corner of the house, covering the front porch. The house also features a cantilevered rectangular bay at the west end of the north façade, covered by a shed roof. The gable and shed roofs all feature open eaves with knee brackets that penetrate the wide flared barge boards. The porch gable is supported by paired rectangular columns on wood piers and a solid balustrade on the north and south sides of the porch. This balustrade, like the rest of the house, is clad with asbestos ceramic shingles that have a wavy bottom edge. The windows are typically 1/1 double-hung wood sash, but 7/1 windows are also present on the south, west, and north sides in limited places. The windows typically appear in pairs or in groups of three and feature plain board trim on three sides. A brick chimney at the east end of the main ridge is wrapped in plastic above the roof line.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.