CHRIS AND MARIE MOEHNKE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1919 Chris and Marie Moehnke bought the property and proceeded to construct the residence. As Mr. Moehnke was a carpenter, he may have built the house himself. Moehnke was born in Oregon in 1879, a member of a large family of German immigrants who settled in the Beaver Creek area. The couple appear to have occupied the house until its sale to Don J. and Gertrude M. Larios in 1934. The couple resided next door at 1215 8th Street and used this house as a rental. Tenants during their ownership included a mechanic, a teacher, a librarian, and a Baptist minister.
This 1-1/2 story bungalow sits under a side gable roof, with a large, shed dormer on the east side of the house. At the northeast corner, a recessed porch leads to the main entry to the house. The eave is supported at the porch by tapered square columns set on a solid balustrade that is clad with the same drop siding as the rest of the house. The windows in the house are predominantly 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds. The south side of the house features a cantilevered rectangular bay at the first-floor level and a modern greenhouse window just to the west of the bay. A basement garage is present at the western end of this façade. A porch has been added to the north side of the house, providing a rear entry through a modern sliding glass door.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.