LUDWIG AND JULIA HARTKE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1899, this property was purchased by Ludwig and Julia Hartke, who are credited with the construction of the residence. Mr. Hartke was a weaver at the Oregon City Manufacturing Company. The property was deeded to another employee of the manufacturing company, Benjamin W. Eby, a carder, in 1912. He occupied the house with his wife Sadie for four years. The next confirmed owner-occupants were Edwin F. and Alice Farr, proprietors of Farr's Pool Hall at 505 Main Street, who acquired the house in 1934. The couple continued to live in the house until their respective deaths in the late 1960s.
This modest house sits under a front gable roof, with an octagonal bay on the south side under a second gable. The main gable is clipped, and both gables feature enclosed eaves, wide rake and frieze boards, and decorative rake molding. A porch is recessed at the southwest corner of the house, where the eave of the shallow hip roof is supported by paired 4 x 4 columns. The house is primarily clad with horizontal drop siding, finished with corner boards, but the gable ends are clad with wood shingles. The upper half of the gable ends are clad with a sawtooth imbrication pattern, and the lower half is plain rectangular shingles. The windows are 1/1 double-hung wood sash with wide surrounds and projecting hood moldings. The first-floor windows have all seen the addition of steel security grills. A garage has been added to the northeast corner of the house, clad with drop siding under a flat roof.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.