CHRIS MOEHNKE HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1909, Chris Moehnke, a carpenter, purchased this property and is likely responsible for moving this residence to the site. Although the original location of the house is unknown, it was relocated sometime after 1911. Moehnke lived here with his family for a number of years following the recording of a deed in 1913 to William and Ada C. Moehnke, relation unknown, who resided at 16th and Taylor Streets. In 1921, the property was purchased by Blanche Stuart. Although she owned the house for nearly 20 years, Stuart does not appear to have occupied it. In 1940, the property was sold to John and Katherine Timmer, who in turn transferred it to Joseph and Ida Alberts. By 1947, John was retired and Katherine was cooking at Art's Café. Following her husband's death in 1959-60, Mrs. Alberts continued to own and occupy the house until at least 1967.
This small one-story house sits under a side gable roof, with a shallow hipped porch running nearly the full width of the north façade. This hip is supported by a series of chamfered square posts with decorative molding just below the scroll cut brackets at the blank frieze. Two matching engaged columns are present at the north wall of the house at each end of the porch. The house is clad with horizontal drop siding, finished with corner boards. The eaves are enclosed and feature narrow frieze and rake boards. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds. At the southeast corner, a small ell has been added to the house which matches the main body of the house in both character and materials. A detached garage is located on the northeast corner of the lot, clad with the same drop siding as the house but with shallower eaves. A pair of two panel out-swinging doors provide access to the garage on the north side.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.