ROY WOODWARD HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1888, Elizabeth Fuchs took title to this property, which she held until 1915. Although the house was constructed during her tenure, it does not appear that Fuchs ever occupied it. The following owner was Roy O. Woodward, a painter, and his wife Stella. The couple continued to occupy the residence until 1960, when it was sold to Helen E. Larsen and Hazel Larkins. There is no evidence that either of these owners lived at the property, which they owned until 1971. However, according to city directories, Roy O. Woodward occupied the house again in the late 1960s.
This large, two-story house is now a rental property with multiple units. It sits on a concrete foundation and is covered by a front gable roof that features open eaves, wide barge boards, and knee brackets, all typical of the style. A full width hipped porch is set on the south side of the house and provides a porch or balcony for both floors of the house. The hip is supported by large square columns on a solid balustrade at both levels. This balustrade, like the rest of the house, is clad with horizontal drop siding finished with corner boards. The windows are 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds and projecting sills with a small apron molding. The windows typically appear in pairs. An internal chimney is located near the north end of the house, and a large exterior chimney is located on the south end of the east wall. A shed roofed addition has been made to the north side of the house, for use as a storage space. Just west of the house is a small one car garage covered by a flat roof and clad with drop siding. The flat parapet is clad with aluminum, and the garage has recently received a new door.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.