JOHANNES VIGELIUS HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1884, Johannes Vigeluis purchased Lots 1 and 2 in this Block, and proceeded to construct this residence. "John", a German immigrant, was a barber on Main Street. He continued to live in the house with his wife Bertha, until his death in the mid-1930s. In 1935, Mrs. Vigeluis deeded this property to her son, John Vigeluis Jr., and moved next door to 618-4th Street, which she also owned. This house was used as a rental for several decades, until Vigelius' residency in 1961. The property was transferred out of the family in 1966.
This two-story house sits under a front gable roof, with a hip roofed porch running the full width of the north façade. The porch hip is supported by a series of chamfered posts with small scroll cut brackets beneath the blank frieze. The main gable features enclosed eaves with wide rake and frieze boards and decorative frieze and rake moldings. The house is entirely clad with horizontal drop siding, finished with corner boards that have molding at the tops to simulate pilasters. The windows are all tall, narrow 1/1 double-hung wood sashes with aluminum storm windows and board trim with prominent hood moldings. A central brick chimney penetrates the main gable ridge near the center of the house.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.