CARL AND MARY TROXEL HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1922, this property was purchased by Carl A. and Mary Troxel. Although they are credited with the construction of this residence, there is no evidence the couple ever lived in the house. The property was sold to William Andresen in 1940, who in turn sold to Edward H. and Marie Van Domelen in 1943. The Van Domelen's were proprietors of Van's Market. In 1963, ownership was transferred to Archie Paul and Eva Jean Rich. He was a salesman at Clackamas Realty, who later worked as an insurance adjuster for Firemen's Fund. The couple continued to occupy this residence until 1967.
This two story house sits under a gambrel roof, and features large shed dormers that run almost the full length of the north and south sides of the main roof. The shed dormers feature end returns at both ends. The gambrel ends are pedimented with small shed roofs running from the eave line up to the second floor window sills. The house is entirely clad with lap siding, and features a projecting gable over the main entry at the west end. This gable covers a segmental arched entry, and is supported by paired turned columns with a wide blank frieze above them that continues around the house. The windows are primarily 3/1 double-hung wood sashes, but a fixed pane with a five-pane transom is present on the north side. At the southwest corner, windows have been replaced with 2/2 double-hung sashes with horizontally oriented panes. All of the windows have decorative shutters. Other decorative elements include classically inspired oval vents in the gambrel ends and a full water table.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.