MAY S. AND GLEN E. MILLS HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: May S. Mills purchased this lot in 1911 and had a residence constructed by her son, Glenn E. Mills, a carpenter. Glenn also worked for Mrs. Bradley of 902 6th Street, as well as 508 and 516 Madison Street. In 1924, Mrs. Mills deeded the property to Glenn and his wife Amy. The couple continued to occupy the house until 1963, when ownership was transferred to Earl A. Schneider, a laundryman at the Willamette View Manor Laundry in MilwaukIe. Schneider continued to live in the residence with his wife Stella until its sale in 1971.
This one-story house sits under a hip roof, with a hip dormer on the north side. The north side also houses a recessed entry porch on the east end and a rectangular cantilevered bay on the west end. The house rests on a parged concrete foundation and has been entirely clad with vinyl siding. The eaves of the hip roofs are open, revealing scroll cut rafter tails. At the southeast corner of the house, a porch under a small hip roof appears to be original, as the rafters match those on the rest of the house. The windows are primarily 1/1 double-hung wood sash at the first floor level, some of which have leaded upper sashes. Many of the windows have seen the addition of decorative shutters, and all have lost their original exterior trim. The dormer windows are both 8/1 double-hung sash. All of the windows have seen the addition of aluminum storm windows.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.