ERNEST P. RANDS HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1903, Ernest P. Rands purchased lots 1 and 2 in this block and is credited with the construction of the residence. Rands, who was born in 1868, worked with his brother Harold as civil engineers and surveyors. His brother later went into partnership with F.F. White, architect, as Rands and White. Ernest Rands attended Pacific University in Forest Grove, served as Oregon City councilman, as city engineer in charge of District 3 sewer construction, and was Clackamas County surveyor for two terms. This property remained in the family until 1956 when it was purchased by Walter and Leona Erland. Just five months later, they sold to Aloys Burkhartsmeir, an employee of the Southern Pacific Railroad, and his wife Eva. The couple continued to own the residence until 1977.
This Dutch Colonial Revival from the 1910s is in the process of being lifted and a new foundation installed. The 1-1/2 story structure is front gabled, with a gambrel roof and shed dormers on the side. A shallow pitch hipped roof porch addition projects from the front. The porch, its railings, posts, and flooring, have been completely removed, and only the concrete steps remain. The house has been clad with vinyl siding and many windows have been replaced with vinyl. The front door is also new. On the front elevation, a large picture window with leaded glass is original, as is a small, Craftsman-inspired, diamond pane window on the side elevation.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.