FREDERICK METZNER HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Frederick Metzner was an Oregon City councilman in 1898 and 1899. He bought the property in 1904 and reportedly constructed the house around 1911. Fred and Julie Metzner were living at the residence in 1916. Fred was an overseer of the weaving department at Oregon City Manufacturing Company. The Metzners sold in 1941 and the property changed hands four times in the 1940s. In 1947 Earl Frost, an HP & P Co employee, purchased and lived at the house with children John and Jacqueline until he sold to Marian Elledge in 1958-59. James and Martha Lane purchased the house in 1964.
This 1-1/2 story house sits under a side gable roof with a shed dormer on the east side. A shed extension of the main gable covers the front porch that runs almost the full width of the primary façade. The porch roof is supported by a series of tapered square columns with a blank frieze above them. A solid balustrade is currently under construction surrounding the porch, and a new staircase has been built. On the north side of the house, near the west end, an octagonal bay is cantilevered out from the house at the first-floor level. A rectangular bay under a hip roof is located at the east end of this elevation and may at one time have been an open rear porch. The house typically features enclosed eaves and is clad with double drop siding finished with corner boards. The windows are predominantly 1/1 double-hung wood sash, but the shed dormer contains a set of four single-pane casement windows. The windows typically feature board trim with decorative hood moldings and 1/4 round apron moldings. The house's concrete foundation is now exposed, but framing is in place to skirt the foundation.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.