LAWRENCE AND LENA RUCONICH HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Lawrence and Lena Ruconich constructed this residence following their purchased of the lot in 1923. Mr. Ruconich was born in Hungary in 1861 and served as Oregon City's first paid fire chief in 1904. The couple continued to own and occupy the house until its sale in 1944 to Theodore and Lydia Woods. Following her husband's death, Mrs. Woods remarried and added her new spouse to the title of this house in 1955. At that time, Alfred S. Wienert (1955). Alfred worked at the Murphy Sawmill and Lydia Wienert was a salesclerk.
This simple c.1923 bungalow house has a square plan with a jerkinhead (clipped gable) roofline with eave returns and is clad in asbestos ceramic siding. A shed dormer enhances the main façade with 5/1 wood double-hung windows to allow light into the upper half story. The front porch runs the full length of the main façade and is supported by Tuscan columns at the corners, which rest on a low knee wall with a spindled rail balustrade. Original lap-siding still remains at the porch skirt. A non-historic fixed picture window is present on the front façade, while a majority of windows on the upper level are 7/1 wood double-hung windows. The structure is clad in asbestos ceramic siding, which flares out just above the concrete foundation. Alterations include the lattice enclosure of the front porch, asbestos ceramic cladding on the exterior, an infill at the rear porch with non-historic vinyl windows and a breezeway, attaching the two-car garage at the rear of the structure. An established holly tree resides on the south side of the structure.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.