812 6th Street

JOHN F. AND ELIZABETH ALBRIGHT HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: The property, comprised of Lots 1 and 2, was sold by Mary A. Wise and her husband to Thomas F. Ryan. Ryan sold it to Elizabeth Albright in 1908. Elizabeth and her husband John lived in the house until 1920. John Albright was a member of the business Jack and Albright, grocers. Mr. Albright was a member of the elevator committee with Fred Meyer and W. A. Long. Through civil disobedience, he was responsible for the actual placement of telephone poles on the property lines. He was also employed by Hawley Pulp and Paper. They sold the house to N. W. and Lillie Bowland that was later purchased by Lee Hall in 1921. Hall lived kitty-corner to the house at 814 6th St. The residence was later sold by Jessie Hall to William H. Eggiman in 1944 and purchased by Morris and Jennie Jones from Eggiman in 1953. Present owner, Edward Allick, was a City Commissioner and Mayor.

This 1-1/2 story house sits under a front gable roof, with a full width hip roofed porch on the north side. The main gable features a small gabled dormer on the east side, open eaves, and chamfered knee brackets that penetrate the wide scroll cut barge boards. The porch hip is supported by paired square columns set on wood piers with a solid balustrade enclosing the porch. Above the grouped columns, the porch frieze features a block modillion course. The house features two rectangular cantilevered bays on the west side covered by shed roofs and a small cantilevered bay on the east side at the stair landing. The house is primarily clad with narrow lap siding, finished with corner boards, but the gable ends are shingled above a string course at the eave line. The windows are predominantly 1/1 double-hung wood sash with plain board surrounds and slightly projecting window hoods at the first floor level. The north gable end windows have a small shed roof over them, supported by chamfered knee brackets. A central brick chimney features a corbelled cap. The garage sits under a gable roof with open eaves and is clad with drop siding finished with corner boards.

This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact ocplanning@orcity.org for more information.

Historic Inventory Form