JACOB AND MARY MADIR HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Portions of Lots 1 and 2 were sold by Joseph and Mary Techer in 1875 to Theodore Himmler who sold them to Mary Madir fifteen years later. Joseph and Mary Madir originally owned the house, located on the northeast corner of 6th and Monroe. The property changed hands several times over the next twenty years and was purchased by Josie Irish in 1921 and sold by H. H. Hughes to Leona J. Mooty on July 3, 1940. According to the City Directory, no Irish or Hughes lived at this house in the early 1930s, but was instead occupied by Lee Hall who also owned the house at 812 6th St.
This 1-1/2 story house sits under a steeply pitched cross gable roof and is square in plan. The gables feature shallow boxed eaves and decorative barge moldings. The main entry is covered by a small gable supported by a pair of square posts. This gable is most likely an addition to the house, which is clad with wide wood shingles, and features a brick chimney on the west wall with a corbelled cap. The windows are all 1/1 double-hung wood sash with lamb's tongues on the upper sashes and narrow trim moldings. This trim was likely installed with the new siding. A small garage associated with this house features a flat roof, drop siding, and fixed wood sashes.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.