FRED J. MEYER HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1881, Fred Meyer purchased all of block 165 from Julius Graser. He sold this lot to Fred J. and Louise Meyer (relation unknown) in 1900. Fred J. Meyer was a cashier at the Commercial Bank of Oregon City, who was elected City Treasurer for three terms. He died while care taking a farm outside Oregon City in 1936, and the house was sold the following year. The new owners, Robert and Anna Louisa Fosberg, resided at the property until at least 1953, and then used the house as a rental until its sale in 1976. In 1958, its occupants were William E. Phifer and his wife Lorraine, a teacher. Other tenants included Mrs. Dorothy Moran and Edward Hauck, a foreman at Timber Structures, and his wife Betty.
This two-story vernacular house has a rectangular plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation with basement. The cross-gable roof is covered with composition shingles and has decorative barge boards and eave brackets. The roof is pierced by a chimney. The house is covered with channel rustic drop siding grounded with wood skirting. Wood shingles accent the gable ends. Windows are primarily 1/1, 4/1 and 3/1 wood double-hung. The combined shed and gable roof entry porch is supported by battered columns and has a knee wall. A detached garage, two storage sheds and an enclosed hot tub are located around the yard.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.