J.W. AND ANNA JONES HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: J.W. Jones, born in Ohio, had a series of jobs in Oregon City. In 1910 he was a "bridge worker", and in 1916 a steam-shovel engineer. In 1900, he was a carpenter, leading one to speculate regarding his involvement in the construction of this house. Jones owned this property from 1896 to 1906, selling to Augusta Schoenborn in October of that year. Schoenborn lived in the house until she sold it in 1928 to Ernest and Elsie Cross. The Cross family held the property through the remainder of the historic period and used the house as a rental. The longest resident during this period was Vera Wyatt, who was in the house during the 1960s.
Squeezed between two large commercial structures is 1009 7th Street. This two story house has a gable front filled with wood shingles. The rest of the cladding is channel drop siding. On the lower story is a three-sided bay next to the entry. There is a small hipped roof over the entry supported by new turned posts. The front door appears to be original. Windows are 1/1 wood double-hung with lamb's tongues. The windows have been replaced in the bay with fixed units. There's an early addition to the rear with new balconies and back porch. There is a converted garage to the rear with vinyl drop siding, vinyl sliding windows, and a concrete block foundation.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.