JOHN W. ROSS HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: This house, built about 1905, was owned by John W. Ross. Ross bought the property in February of 1905 and held it until 1920. No biographical information has been found on Ross. Ross sold the property to William and Martha Brown, who sold the property in 1927 to Carl and Minnie Christiansen. Carl Christiansen was listed as a WPA foreman in the 1941 city directory, and lived in the house until his death sometime around 1950. By 1953, Minnie was living alone in the house, and remained here through the remainder of the historic period. The house stayed in the Christiansen family until 1981.
This two-story residence has a complex plan that rests on a stone foundation. Its gable roof is covered in composition shingles and is punctured by an exterior brick chimney. The residence is clad in drop siding and features wood 1/1 double-hung windows. Decorative features include the front porch, with a column and pilaster on piers; the rake board and molding; and the corner boards. Alterations include the clipped gable and the single-story addition to the rear. A period garage is to the rear.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.