JOSEPH B. LOCKE RENTAL -- Statement of Significance: Joseph B. Locke (1838-1922) was a carpenter who lived at 810 John Adams Street. In 1910, he bought Lot 1, apparently subdividing the lot and building two houses - first the one at 1112 9th Street, then this one. The house was rented to Christ Enabnit who eventually bought it from Locke in 1916. Enabnit owned the house until 1920, and during the next decade the property changed hands a number of times. In 1942 Stanley and Grace Reddaway bought the property and lived in the house for the next six years. For the next five years (1948-1953) the house was used as a rental, and in 1953 Leonard and Beulah Wilson bought the house. Wilson worked for the Crown Zellerbach Corporation and lived in the house until his death in 1964. Beulah continued to live in the house through the remainder of the historic period, owning the house until the mid-1980s.
This 1-1/2 story Queen Anne Cottage has a square plan on a concrete foundation. Its front facing Jerkinhead roof is covered in composition shingles and is pierced by a stepped, exterior brick chimney. Exterior walls are clad in drop siding and windows are primarily wood 1/1 double hung, with slightly projecting sills and headers. The recessed, half-width porch features classical columns and a closed rail. Characteristics of the Queen Anne Cottage include the cut-away bay window and the fish scale shingles. Decorative features include the frieze, and the water table and cap. Alterations include the front steps and handrail and lattice on the front porch.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.