Engineering Fees

Development Services requires fees to be able to staff the division and process permits. Fees may also be collected which provide funding for future capital projects. In certain situations, a fee-in-lieu will be collected. The Fee Schedule is adopted by the City Commission. Staff cannot waive any fees without City Commission approval.

For projects requiring land use such as subdivisions, partitions, and site plans, Development Services collects fees in the amount of 5.0% of the cost of Public Improvements in the following way:

  • 2.5% of the Preliminary Cost of Public Improvements for Plan Review
  • 5.0% of the Final Cost of Public Improvements minus the Plan Review fee for Construction Inspection

The costs are determined by a stamped and signed cost estimate prepared by a licensed professional engineer.

Public improvements are defined as those improvements that will ultimately be owned and maintained by the City of Oregon City as well as all stormwater management improvements (whether they will be owned and maintained by the City or property owner).

Geotechnical Consultant

Also, the City currently uses a geotechnical consultant when properties lie in geologic hazard areas. Those fees are passed on to the applicant. It should be noted that the applicant is required to contract with a geotechnical engineer to prepare reports and documents. The City's geotechnical consultant acts as a 3rd party who reviews the reports to ensure they meet City Code.

System Development Charges

System Development Charges are one-time fees based on the proposed new use or increase in use of a property. They apply to new construction, redevelopment of an existing use and residential projects, all of which may increase the impact to City infrastructure. They are used for capital projects.


When an adjacent capital project is expected within a few years, Development Services will request the applicant to pay a fee-in-lieu for their share of what they would have had to build for public improvements on existing roadways. Title 12 of the City Code discusses when public improvements to existing roadways are required. A fee-in-lieu may also be required in place of a public improvement when the improvement is smaller or when the public improvement exceeds 10% of the cost of an individual house planned to be built.

Review & Recording

Fees are also required for review and recording of plats and other documents which need recording at Clackamas County which include, but are not limited to:

  • Stormwater Covenants
  • Obstruction Covenants
  • Non-Remonstrance Covenants
  • Vacations
  • Easements
  • Deeds of Dedication
  • Indemnity Agreements