M.A. AND HELEN STRATTON HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1889, M.A. and Helen Stratton purchased this property and are credited with the construction of this residence. That same year, Mr. Stratton was mayor of Oregon City. In 1913, the property was transferred to Harry Saunders, a carpenter at Crown Willamette Paper, and his wife Maud. Following their sale in in 1918, the property changed hands numerous times and there is no evidence that any of owners occupied the house. This changed in 1943, with the purchase by Fred Reitzenstein, who worked for Crown Zellerbach, and his wife, Mildred. The couple continued to own and occupy the residence until its sale in 1975.
The one-story vernacular house has a gable roof covered in composition shingles. Its plan is L-shaped, and the house sits on a poured concrete foundation. It is clad in channel rustic drop siding and has rake boards and corner boards. All of the windows have vinyl replacements, and a new front door has been added. There is a shallow bay window on the front elevation that has a small hip roof. The front porch has been rebuilt, although it is possible that the chamfered posts and top spindle rail were salvaged from the original. An addition was made to the back of the house including a two-car garage and a patio. There is a free-standing carport also at the rear.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.