FRED DEMENT HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: In 1891, Harry Neefus purchased this property. Two year later, he sold it to Fred Dement, who is credited with constructing the residence. By 1911, the property was sold to Christian Siebken, who used it as a rental. His estate transferred ownership to Henry and Gertrude Kerbs Jr. in 1932. Mr. Kerbs was an employee at Crown-Willamette Paper Co in the 1940s and worked at Crown Zellerbach in the 1950s. The couple continued to occupy the house with their two children, Norman and Carol, until 1987.
This vernacular style house has a jerkinhead roof. It is a one-story house with a daylight basement reportedly hand dug by the owner c. 1935. The house has a rectangular plan and sits on a poured concrete foundation. It is clad in channel rustic drop siding and has corner boards and a watertable. The 1/1 double-hung wood windows have simple wood trim moldings. There is a small hopper window in the attic. The owner also added a bedroom and bathroom at the rear of the house and the front porch when he dug out the basement/garage. This information came from the current owner who is a decedent of the owner during this time period.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact email@example.com for more information.