DR. ROSS AND RUTH L. EATON HOUSE -- Statement of Significance: Ruth Latourette was the daughter of attorney and banker D.C. Latourette of 914 Madison Street. She was also a practicing osteopath. Ruth married Dr. Ross Eaton, grandson of pioneers James and Mahale Eaton, who was an active community leader and prominent Oregon City physician. In 1921, the property was transferred from D.C. Latourette's name to his daughter's. In the 1950s Ross Eaton remarried and transferred the property to daughter Wilma Ruth Eaton in 1967.
This two-story colonial house has a gable roof and two gabled dormers covered in composition shingles. The house has a rectangular plan and sits on a parged, poured concrete foundation with basement. The exterior is covered in horizontal lap siding. The house features many multi-pane windows. The first story windows are casements with 8 panes. The second story windows are double-hung 8/8. The dormer windows are double-hung 6/6. At the north end of the house, it appears that a sleeping porch has been enclosed. The house also offers many classical decorative elements including pilasters and a pediment over the front door. The detached garage appears to be contemporary with the house. It is wood-sided with 4/4 windows. An enormous holly hedge growing behind a small basalt wall obscures the house from the street.
This property is a locally designated historic site located within the McLoughlin Conservation District. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.